For most days of the year, you spent long hours and days at the office. Brainstorming, deadlines, follow ups, nothing beats the chaotic world of being a worker. The same situations go whether you are working in a hospital, utilities, or restaurants. Then comes the day, you’re most awaited one–the time when you can relax and bathe under the sun–VACATION.
Most of us go over the top when preparing for the most wanted well-deserved vacation. From the outfits, the bags, and accessories. We also check where do we go, where we would stay or check out what food it would be offered on our chosen destination.
But what happens when you travel, you’re abroad with your friends, or you’re alone, are you prepared? Some people who travel get sick, few days after they arrived. Crossing continent is not that easy (although you are just sitting on the plane for hours). If you get stricken by sickness upon your travel, do you have health insurance?
Check Your Health Insurance Company
Questions that need to be answered by your health insurance provider:
- While traveling abroad, I suddenly got sick, can I use my health insurance policy?
- Can I file for reimbursement on my health insurance provider if in case I got sick abroad?
- While abroad, does my health insurance cover pre-existing conditions?
If you have health insurance, it’s best to check if it covers when you travel abroad. Some insurance will cover necessary care if let’s say traveling in a ship, and this ship sails along the U.S. territorial waters.
Some private insurance companies have insurance health plans that cover abroad healthcare like deductibles, reimbursement policy or coinsurance plans.
How To Find Medical Help
If you are out of the country traveling, there is a chance you might get sick. You should be prepared for the necessary things and options that you can do in order to have peaceful travel:
In emergency cases, check the U.S. embassy whichever country you are in to get assistance. The U.S. embassy will give you a list of hospitals where you can seek professional medical help.
It’s best to contact insurance company in advance to give you proper recommendations or bits of advice. This is important especially if you have a history of being sick like if you have allergies, asthma etc.
It is also recommended to check the health hazards and health care systems before going to your destination. You can check this at the website of Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Also since you are traveling, don’t forget your I.D. cards, forms (claim) from your insurance policy company and bring it to your travel. You might need it in one way or the other.
Health Insurance, do we need it?
No one wanted to get sick. But do we know when illnesses will strike us? If that happens, are we ready to pay for bills that are keep on increasing each day we stay at the hospital? Older people tend to rely on monthly pensions. What if you become sickly and your monthly pension already cannot cover the medicines you need to buy.
Especially if it will come to the point where your doctor issues medicines that should be taken daily and will continue as long as you are living. As your health maintenance grew, your finances will be affected as well. The next thing you will have to do is to ask from relatives for a financial support for all of the expenses you have. Even for your other needs like your food, clothing, house rent, electric and water bills since all your money was exhausted by your medical needs you will depend on the help they can extend.
Make a Health Status Check
All of these are unwanted expenses that can be addressed if you already look into the root cause of your future problem which is your health. Our health is important to us in order to continuously do our daily activities we should stay healthy. We also should always consider our family since they will have to carry the burden of helping us pay our bills and hospital expenses to be incurred if we will get sick.
These future concerns can be easily addressed if you thought of getting a health insurance plan as early as now. A time when you are still healthy and have a job and earns a wage that will consider you as a capable person to pay for a health insurance plan that you know will address your future medical needs.
Here are some tips to consider and things to do in order to identify a health provider and health plans that are suited for you:
1. Make a list of all the health problems your family or relatives already encountered in their life. Look for the oldest person in your family that can give you details on illnesses he/she experienced before until now. Take note of these illnesses as these are your references in checking the inclusive services an insurance company will offer to you.
2. Do your homework. Make a research on other illnesses that you are not familiar of and as to what degree it will cause a person to be sickly. Is it impairment for life or it will take long treatment procedures to undergo. In this way, you can automatically inquire to the insurance provider if this can be covered as well.
3. Make a list of insurance companies that you are familiar of but also ask for opinions from your co-workers or directly from your relatives who already have health plans. You can assess if they are satisfied with these companies or not.
4. Make an actual canvass and give time in doing this. Make a schedule and get an appointment for a meeting to properly discuss the inquiries you’ve listed. In this way, you can gauge which insurance company to choose and if they can openly discuss to you in details the things you wanted to know.
5. Discuss the payment in details. Some insurance companies can give you a coverage for some type of illness only then make you pay an additional fee for other illnesses you like to be included in your policy. Some can offer it in a package set-up. You will pay this certain amount already for covering all that you’ve requested of. If you don’t understand what they mean about a certain coverage or a payment scheme, ask them in a detailed manner.
6. Get a copy of your health insurance policy and safe keep it. These are agreements you’ve made with your chosen insurance company. Review your policy list of medical benefits and the covered services you will be getting when the time comes if you will use it.
Consider Health Insurance as an Option
Consider also that future misunderstandings with insurance companies will be a big issue especially if you are already in a hospital bed. Do it right from the start. It will all be depending on how you lay down all your concerns to them so that they can also properly and correctly address it. Sometimes, proper and open communication is the key.
Always keep in mind that you are getting a health insurance plan and you are doing this not only for yourself but also for the future of your family. Securing yours and their health plans can greatly help in addressing future medical needs and financial issues.